ABOUT THE PRACTICE
Portland Mental Health & Wellness is a collaboration among psychologists, naturopathic physicians, counselors and our trainees.
We work with people first, diagnoses second. We understand the constraints of a health care system that accommodates specific diagnosis focused therapy. We are able to work within that system but take extra care to allow for the gradual unfolding and blossoming that takes place as a matter of course in therapy.
- The mission of PMHW is to provide mental health care founded on connection, healing, and growth. Consistent with this mission, we offer training for mental health professionals.
- Expand awareness of the value of relational and process oriented therapies.
- Further develop evidence based practices that encourage innovation and creativity for a diverse world.
- Reject the narrative that mental illness is a defect of the individual.
- Propagate the narrative that mental illness is relational and interdependent rather than isolated in the individual.
Administratively, Clinically and in Policy, we value:
- Holding sacred the impact of connection on health & wellness
- Honoring the capacity for growth and healing of the whole person
- Engaging each other, our patients and our community with cultural humility
- Practicing ethically with empathy, compassion, integrity & mutual respect
We believe that everyone has an innate propensity for self-realization just as we are.
We deliberately refer to those we work with as patients because the origins of the word patient refer to “sufferer.” This is consistent with our values that though as clinicians bring skills and expertise, we are all first and foremost fellow sufferers working our way through the world.