ABOUT THE PRACTICE
Portland Mental Health & Wellness is a collaboration among psychologists, psychiatric nurse practitioners, psychiatrists, counselors, social workers, our trainees and administrative support staff.
We work with people first, diagnoses second. Though accurate diagnosis is important, people are much more than a diagnosis. We understand the constraints of a health care system that accommodates specific diagnosis focused therapy. We are able to work within that system but take extra care to allow for the gradual unfolding and blossoming that takes place as a matter of a course in therapy.
The mission of PMHW is to provide comprehensive mental health care grounded in the importance of curiosity, empathy, meaning making, growth, the mind body connection, relationships, dialogue and collaboration. As a natural extension of this mission, we offer training for mental health professionals.
A culture in which attending to one’s own mental health is not only considered normal but an essential part of living a healthy and value creating life; People of all backgrounds can participate in mental healthcare that honors their human complexity, life context, inherent dignity, and supports their emotional growth, meaningful relationships and sense of connection and wholeness.
Administratively, clinically and in policy, we value:
- Holding sacred the impact of connection on health & wellness.
- Honoring the capacity for growth and healing of the whole person.
- Engaging each other, our patients, and our community with cultural humility.
- Practicing ethically with empathy, compassion, integrity, and mutual respect.
- Maintaining and developing anti-racism and anti-oppression practices, as well as an openness to receiving feedback for when we are missing the mark.
We believe that everyone has an innate propensity for self-realization just as we are.
We deliberately refer to those we work with as patients because the origins of the word patient refer to “sufferer.” This is consistent with our values that though as clinicians bring skills and expertise, we are all first and foremost fellow sufferers working our way through the world.