We recognize the health disparities of people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women and LGBTQ people. We believe that the experiences of these communities must be valued in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities. For immediate consideration, please submit a resume and cover letter with our application form.
Portland Mental Health & Wellness is a thriving private practice and training practice with two locations in SE and SW Portland. We are a collaboration of psychologists, psychiatric prescribers, counselors, marriage and family therapists and our trainees. We emphasize relationship first and foremost and diagnosis and treatment from within that relationship.
We strongly emphasize trauma informed care, cultural competency, establishing comfort and safety for patients, and coordination of care with primary care doctors, specialists, pediatricians, schools, and other mental health clinicians.
Supervisor: Practice Manager
Employee Classification: Non-Exempt (Hourly), Full-Time
Hours: Full-Time, 40 hours per week
The Medical Assistant is the liaison and main point of contact for all patients in the Psychiatric department. They assist with scheduling new and existing patients and answering incoming calls. The Medical Assistant may perform other administrative tasks as requested by the management or clinical staff.
- Use an Electronic Health Record system to perform the majority of job responsibilities
- Answer all incoming phone calls, screen them, take messages and/or forward to appropriate staff
- Process incoming and outgoing faxes including records requests, Release of Information forms and Care Coordination Letters
- Scheduling and rescheduling patient appointments
- Obtaining digitally signed releases of information from patients as needed for PCP/Hospital Notes/Therapist/Other
- Obtaining chart notes from hospitals/prior mental health providers
- Gathering and tracking down health information such as vital signs, labs, and medical notes from primary care offices and specialist offices
- Liaison between patients, pharmacists, and providers
- Assisting with medication refill requests
- Preparing prior authorizations for medications
- Completing referrals to outside specialists and/or internal referrals as needed
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn the practice’s policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn industry specific terminology and insurance practices.
- Knowledge of grammar, spelling, and punctuation, for effective and appropriate communication.
- Knowledge of web-based computer programs and applications in an Apple/Mac environment
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of HIPAA policies and regulations
- Use office equipment, and handle and file paperwork adequately.
- Handle incoming phone calls and respond or resource appropriately.
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Gather, interpret, and report insurance information.
- Navigate patient privacy with critical thinking and follow through.
- Demonstrate compassion: Employees sees people during moments of trauma or crisis, where they and their family are vulnerable or in pain
- Demonstrate patience: Being patient with people who may have trouble communicating or understanding what is happening is important
- Ability to work effectively as a team member, and to communicate clearly, compassionately, and respectfully, with medical and mental health professionals, as well as with administrative support staff.
- Ability to interpret and understand insurance benefits.
- Ability to flexibly respond to changing demands within the work environment.
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks, time, and responsibilities effectively, as well as to work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, employees, and the public.
- Ability to function proficiently in a web-based computer environment.
- Work with Mac OS & Google Workspace
- An ability to triage and determine urgency of patient needs and prioritize appropriately
- Demonstrate competence and humility in terms of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, class, ability et al
- Demonstrate commitment to the preservation of a workplace which embraces diversity
- Demonstrate commitment to confidentiality of patient and employee information
- Work well independently
- Communicate professionally and effectively with patients and clinicians, always providing stellar customer service
- Answer electronic phone systems with excellent etiquette – a warm/friendly tone, articulate, and providing intelligible responses to questions or concerns
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of HIPAA policies and regulations
- Demonstrate a strong attention to detail and organization
- Demonstrate patience: being patient with people who may have trouble communicating or understanding what is happening is imperative for this position
- Follow policies and procedures to contribute to the administrative efficiency of the practice, taking initiative to suggest and develop those that may be needed
- Demonstrate strong computer skills including web based systems
- Ability to work with Mac OS & Google Workspace
Equipment Operated: Standard office equipment, including computers, copiers, printers, telephones, etc.
Work Environment: When working from a PMHW office, the position is in a well-lit office environment. Varied activities including sitting, standing, walking, reaching, bending, and lifting.
Mental and Physical Requirements: Involves sitting approximately 90 percent of the day, walking or standing the remainder. Ability to tolerate mental and emotional distress as an anticipated aspect of the position. May require working under stressful conditions.
Portland Mental Health & Wellness offers a competitive benefits package for full time employees that includes:
- Paid Health Leave (40 hrs to start)
- Paid Floating Holiday Hours (72 hours to start)
- Paid Time Off (40 hours to start)
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Employer Paid Life/AD&D Insurance
- Voluntary Short Term Disability
- Monthly TriMet Transportation Pass Covered at 100%
- 401K Retirement with 3-4% Company Match Once Eligible
- Quarterly Profit Sharing
- Enrollment with Student Loan Tutor
- 20% Discount on Vitamins & Supplements Through Wellevate
This description is intended to provide only the basic guidelines for meeting job requirements. Responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities, and working conditions may change as the practice’s needs evolve. Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of every job.
The requirements described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. By signing below, you acknowledge that you are able to perform the Essential Functions of this job, with or without accommodation. If an accommodation is needed, you acknowledge that you have an opportunity to discuss this with Human Resources.
Portland Mental Health is an equal opportunity employer. We support and encourage diversity.