We recognize the health disparities of people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women and LGBTQ people. We believe that the experiences of these communities must be valued in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities. For immediate consideration, please submit a resume and cover letter with our application form.
Portland Mental Health & Wellness is a thriving private practice and training practice with three locations in NE, SE, and SW Portland. We are a collaboration of psychologists, psychiatric prescribers, counselors, marriage and family therapists and our trainees. We emphasize relationship first and foremost and diagnosis and treatment from within that relationship.
We strongly emphasize trauma informed care, cultural competency, establishing comfort and safety for patients, and coordination of care with primary care doctors, specialists, pediatricians, schools, and other mental health clinicians.
Medical Assistant or Certified Nursing Assistant
Location: All Locations
Supervisor: Practice Manager
Employee Classification: Non-Exempt (Hourly), Full-Time
Hours: FTE 40 hours/week, Monday – Friday
The Medical Assistant is the liaison and main point of contact for all patients in the Psychiatric department. They assist with scheduling new and existing patients and communicate through incoming and outgoing phone calls and emails. They take patient vitals, draw blood and will perform other tasks as requested.
- Use an Electronic Health Record (EHR) system to perform the majority of job responsibilities
- Triage all incoming phone calls and emails, screening them, taking messages and/or forwarding to appropriate staff
- Process incoming and outgoing faxes, including records requests, Release of Information (ROI) forms and Care Coordination Letters
- Scheduling and rescheduling patient appointments
- Obtaining digitally signed releases of information (ROI) from patients as needed for PCP, hospital, therapist etc.
- Obtaining chart notes from hospitals and/or prior mental health providers, including vital signs, labs, and medical notes from primary care and specialist offices
- Liaison between patients, pharmacists, and providers
- Assisting with medication refill requests
- Preparing & obtaining prior authorizations for medications
- Completing referrals to outside specialists and/or internal referrals as needed
- Taking patient vitals – height, weight, blood pressure
- Drawing blood (venipuncture)
Essential Job Requirements:
- Triage patient needs and prioritize appropriately
- Work well independently
- Communicate professionally and effectively with patients and providers
- Answer phones and emails through stellar customer service – warm, friendly, and kind tone while delivering clear responses to all questions and/or concerns.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of HIPAA policies and regulations
- Demonstrate a strong attention to detail and organization
- Follow policies and procedures to contribute to the administrative efficiency of the practice
- Demonstrate strong computer skills including web based systems
- Work with Mac OS & GSuite
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn the practice’s policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn industry specific terminology and insurance practices.
- Knowledge of grammar, spelling, and punctuation, for effective and appropriate communication.
- Knowledge of web-based computer programs and applications in an Apple/Mac environment
- Use office equipment and handle and file paperwork adequately.
- Handle incoming phone calls and respond or resource appropriately.
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Gather, interpret, and report insurance information.
- Navigate patient privacy with critical thinking and follow through.
- Demonstrate compassion: Employees see people during moments of trauma or crisis, where they and their family are vulnerable or in pain
- Demonstrate patience: Being patient with people who may have trouble communicating or understanding what is happening is important
- Ability to work effectively as a team member, and to communicate clearly, compassionately, and respectfully, with medical and mental health professionals, as well as with administrative support staff.
- Ability to interpret and understand insurance benefits.
- Ability to flexibly respond to changing demands within the work environment.
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks, time, and responsibilities effectively, as well as to work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, employees, and the public.
- Ability to function proficiently in a web-based computer environment.
Equipment Operated: Standard office equipment, including computers, copiers, printers, telephones, etc.
Work Environment: When working from a PMHW office, the position is in a well-lit office environment. Varied activities including sitting, standing, walking, reaching, bending, and lifting.
Mental and Physical Requirements: Involves sitting approximately 90 percent of the day, walking or standing the remainder. Ability to tolerate mental and emotional distress as an anticipated aspect of the position. May require working under stressful conditions.
Portland Mental Health & Wellness offers a competitive benefits package for full time employees that includes:
- Paid health leave (40 hrs to start)
- Paid holidays (48 hours to start)
- Paid vacation (40 hours to start)
- Health, dental, vision insurance
- Employer Paid Life/AD&D
- Voluntary Short Term Disability
- Monthly TriMet Transportation Pass covered at 100%
- 401K retirement with 3-4% company match once eligible
- Quarterly profit sharing
- Enrollment with Student Loan Tutor
- 20% discount on vitamins & supplements through Wellevate
This description is intended to provide only the basic guidelines for meeting job requirements. Responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities, and working conditions may change as the practice’s needs evolve. Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of every job.
The requirements described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. By signing below, you acknowledge that you are able to perform the Essential Functions of this job, with or without accommodation. If an accommodation is needed, you acknowledge that you have been given an opportunity to discuss this with Human Resources.
Portland Mental Health is an equal opportunity employer. We support and encourage diversity.