We recognize the health disparities of people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women and LGBTQ people. We believe that the experiences of these communities must be valued in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities. For immediate consideration, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Cascade Employers Association assisting with this recruitment.
Portland Mental Health & Wellness is a thriving private practice and training practice with three locations in NE, SE, and SW Portland. We are a collaboration of psychologists, psychiatric prescribers, counselors, marriage and family therapists and our trainees. We emphasize relationship first and foremost and diagnosis and treatment from within that relationship.
We strongly emphasize trauma informed care, cultural competency, establishing comfort and safety for patients, and coordination of care with primary care doctors, specialists, pediatricians, schools, and other mental health clinicians.
Human Resources Manager
Supervisor: Chief Operating Officer
Hours: FTE 40 hours/week
Portland Mental Health & Wellness has an immediate opportunity for a senior professional in Human Resources to join our company.
Portland Mental Health & Wellness is a collaboration among psychologists, counselors, psychiatric nurse practitioners, psychiatrists, and other mental health practitioners to provide outpatient counseling, psychotherapy, psychiatric services including medication management, intensive outpatient mental health programming and other mental health wellness services in Portland and via telehealth.
We work with people first, diagnoses second. Though accurate diagnosis is important, people are much more than a diagnosis. This holds true for the role of Human Resources Manager in relation to our employees. Even though we are looking for an experienced Human Resources professional who has a solid foundation in compliance, employment practices, benefit administration and employee relations, we also hope that you will be the type of person who always puts people first.
As a company, we seek to embrace and develop an organizational culture that values feedback at all levels, radical candor, brave space, antiracist practice, trauma informed practices and organizational & individual humility. In this role you will be a part of our managers and directors team which is in part responsible for demonstrating our mission, vision and values as well as our organizational culture principles.
As the Human Resources Manager, you will have the opportunity to facilitate organizational culture while ensuring we have the policies and processes in place to provide a positive work experience for all employees.
The ideal candidate will be insightful, business-oriented, and able to address root cause issues while addressing day to day needs. The person in this position will learn the company thoroughly in order to effectively guide the employee relations, employee surveys, policy development, and onboarding of new employees.
The ideal candidate can utilize influence in a value creating manner, hold boundaries and enforce policies, manage multiple projects and complete objectives in a timely manner, and respond to daily organization and employee relations needs. The ideal candidate anticipates and plans for human resources needs at every level.
- Provides front line support for employee and manager needs, including general counseling, performance guidance, employee relations decision making support, investigations, performance improvement plans, and end-of-employment situations.
- Seeks to address root-causes and resolves employee relations issues with a systemic approach.
- Positive Employee Relations
- Dedication to creating a positive working environment, building and maintaining communicative employee relations with all employees.
- Responsible for HR reporting and other administrative functions.
- Manages quarterly filing reports on state and federal levels.
- Investigates complaints brought forward by employees by conducting initial fact-finding conversations.
- Provides personnel policy and procedure guidance to employees.
- Maintains electronic copies of employees’ records.
- Maintains documentation and standard operating procedures for department.
- Manages Unemployment Claims & Hearing process.
- Works collaboratively on time sensitive concerns impacting the workforce (e.g. open enrollment).
- Ensure internal training and information system is compliant and maintained with most up-to-date information available.
- Assists all department Managers and Directors with various special projects as assigned.
- Consults with leaders on best practices and the development of their staff into a high performing team.
- As a key HR consultant to leaders, understands the factors driving financial performance of the business, possesses the ability to diagnose issues that may have underlying human resources implications and drives solutions for change and business or financial impact.
- Ability to translate the needs of the business to individual employee responsibility and impact on business needs and performance.
- Assesses and implements programs (e.g. employee surveys, exit interviews) to continuously seek employee feedback and uses data to recommend and implement employee attraction and retention programs.
- Collaborates with People & Culture Associate to lead monthly All Staff Meeting.
- Uses insight, influence, and accountability to find creative new solutions to complex problems and implement them effectively.
- Collaborates with the owners on short term and long term development of the practice.
- Supports and facilitates professional development at all levels.
- Develops employment and work-related policies and procedures including job description and job postings.
- Participates in biweekly Directors and Managers Team Meetings.
- Participates biweekly in Diversity, Equity, Access and Inclusion Meetings with the Directors and Managers team.
- Coaches managers and staff on personnel issues.
- Oversees and collaborates with People & Culture Associate.
- Other relevant responsibilities as needed.
Performance Management & Compensation
- Administers the performance management program to ensure effectiveness, compliance, and equity within the company.
- Develops equitable compensation and benefits infrastructure including compensation increases over time for applicable roles.
Benefits Administration & Payroll Oversight
- Maintains Benefits Enrollment and Administration.
- Provides day-to-day benefits administration services and assists employees with any claim issues.
- Manages and administers benefits including scheduling and conducting benefits orientations and other benefits training.
- Handles enrollment in the carrier system(s) and in payroll system (Gusto).
- Administers the 401(k) plan and participates in yearly compliance reporting.
- Administers leaves of absence which includes but is not limited to OFLA/FMLA, Paid Family Leave, ADAAA, short-term and long-term disability and worker’s compensation claims.
- Works directly with employees seeking accommodation.
- Oversees People & Culture Associate responsible for preparing payroll on bi-weekly basis.
Recruitment & Hiring
- Responsible for the timely composition and distribution of all job announcements on job boards, advertising the opening on social media, or sourcing candidates.
- Leads recruiting, onboarding and staffing initiatives.
- Prepares Termination Letters and employment verification at the request of employees.
- Performs pre-screening of applicants and coordinates interviews with appropriate managers and directors.
- Perform background checks on all new employees. Verify accuracy of information received and prepares necessary documentation for those with undisclosed criminal history.
- Presents offer of employment and Employment Agreements to candidates and negotiates details with them.
- Organizes new hire orientation to onboard the new employee, conducts People & Culture/Human Resources orientation portion of the onboarding process.
- Maintains personnel records of applicants, correspondence relating to the hiring decision of the department, and accurate reporting for Equal Employment Opportunity purposes.
- Compliance with Oregon Labor Law.
- Identifies legal requirements and government regulations affecting human resources functions and ensures policies, procedures, and reporting are in compliance and communicated.
- Manages and monitors compliance and regulatory requirements.
- May assist with the preparation of written safety and health programs and policies.
- Identifies company safety training needs and develops and coordinates safety training programs.
- Audits practices and records for the company to ensure compliance with company programs and federal/state occupational safety and health regulations.
- Reviews safety committee meeting minutes and safety inspection reports and follows up as necessary.
- Tracks and posts OSHA-required data and files reports.
- Manages all claims for the company including WC, property, auto, g/l, EPL, etc.
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn the practice’s policies and procedures
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn industry specific terminology and insurance practices
- Knowledge of grammar, spelling, and punctuation, for effective and appropriate communication
- Knowledge of web-based computer programs and applications in an Apple/Mac environment
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of HIPAA policies and regulations
- Use office equipment, and handle and file paperwork adequately
- Handle incoming phone calls and respond or resource appropriately
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Gather, interpret, and report insurance information
- Navigate patient privacy with critical thinking and follow through
- Demonstrate compassion: Employees sees people during moments of trauma or crisis, where they and their family are vulnerable or in pain
- Demonstrate patience: Being patient with people who may have trouble communicating or understanding what is happening is important
- Ability to work effectively as a team member, and to communicate clearly, compassionately, and respectfully, with medical and mental health professionals, as well as with administrative support staff
- Ability to interpret and understand insurance benefits
- Ability to flexibly respond to changing demands within the work environment
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks, time, and responsibilities effectively, as well as to work independently and with minimal supervision
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, employees, and the public
- Ability to function proficiently in a web-based computer environment
- Work with Mac OS & GSuite
We are looking for someone who:
- Has 5+ years of human resources experience with certification by SHRM or HRCI.
- Is familiar with anti-racism, diversity, access, equity and inclusion principles and how to implement them in policy and practice.
- Demonstrates strong attention to detail, organizational skills and the ability to recognize priorities.
- Has above average skills using technology and is familiar with a paperless environment.
- Enjoys taking the lead with projects, meetings, and systems.
- Is looking to join an organization that is strong and growing.
- Resonates with our mission, vision, values and culture.
- Holds a systems perspective where no one is the problem, the system is what needs addressing.
- Able to hold the big picture while being accountable to details.
- Enjoys interfacing with administrative and clinical staff with energy, enthusiasm, and interpersonal skill.
- Familiarity with MacOS & GSuite and demonstrates strong computer skills including web-based systems.
- Familiarity with Gusto.
- Familiarity with Oregon Administrative Rules for Behavioral Health, HIPAA compliance, & Fraud Waste & Abuse guidelines preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of Equal Employment Opportunity laws, ADA, leaves of absence, and other government compliance regulations that affect the employment arena.
- Thorough situational consultative/facilitative, problem-solving, group presentation, and group process skills.
- Demonstrated progression in supporting business lines as an HR Consultant/Business Partner or comparable position.
- Proven ability to provide a strategic perspective pertaining to the creation, implementation, and evaluation of business initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to influence all levels of leadership and to build and leverage internal and external networks and resources.
- Proven problem-solving and organizational consulting skills.
Equipment Operated: Standard office equipment, including computers, copiers, printers, telephones, etc.
Work Environment: When working from a PMHW office, the position is in a well-lit office environment. Varied activities including sitting, standing, walking, reaching, bending, and lifting.
Mental and Physical Requirements: Involves sitting approximately 90 percent of the day, walking or standing the remainder. Ability to tolerate mental and emotional distress as an anticipated aspect of the position. May require working under stressful conditions.
Transparency is important to us regarding compensation. This position has a salary starting at $79,900 and is eligible for our benefit program. We offer paid time off plus a full benefit package which includes medical, vision, dental and life insurance along with short-term disability and a 401(k). We are moving quickly to find the right person, so if you are truly interested in who we are and what we do, we want to hear from you!
Portland Mental Health & Wellness offers a competitive benefits package for full time employees that includes:
- Paid sick time (40 hrs to start)
- Paid holidays (48 hours to start)
- Paid vacation (40 hours to start)
- Health, dental, vision insurance
- Employer Paid Life/AD&D
- Voluntary Short Term Disability
- 401K retirement with 3-4% company match once eligible
- Quarterly profit sharing
- 20% discount on vitamins & supplements through Wellevate
For immediate consideration, please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Cascade Employers Association assisting with this recruitment.
Portland Mental Health is an equal opportunity employer. We support and encourage diversity. We recognize the health disparities of people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women and LGBTQ people. We believe that the experiences of these communities must be valued in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.
This description is intended to provide only the basic guidelines for meeting job requirements. Responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities, and working conditions may change as the practice’s needs evolve. Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of every job.
The requirements described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. If an accommodation is needed, you have the opportunity to discuss this with People & Culture.